Last Wednesday, we debuted Part 1 of a three-hour discussion and debate about all things AXANAR between myself and Australia-based Star Trek blogger MATTHEW MILLER. We both have very strong feelings about the Axanar project and its show-runner ALEC PETERS, and we’ve never been particularly shy about sharing those feelings and opinions in various public forums.
But now we’re doing in it the same forum at the same time, voicing our disagreements directly to each other to see if there’s any common ground…or if the two sides of this controversy are destined to simply never come together.
Last time, we primarily discussed the building of Ares Studio, followed by some brief commentary about the fan film guidelines. And just before ending Part 1, we left off having just scratched the surface of our next (BIG!) topic: the copyright infringement lawsuit.
In Part 2, we’ll be discussing the lawsuit in much greater depth, including…
- Should Alec have fought the lawsuit as intensely as he did, or should he have just settled and moved on?
- Did CBS and Paramount offer a settlement when the lawsuit was first filed? If not, when did they first make a settlement offer…and what were their terms?
- Why did Alec and CBS/Paramount finally decide to settle the lawsuit two weeks before trial?
- Were the final settlement terms more favorable to Alec, to CBS/Paramount, or pretty much even?
- What would have happened if Renegades, New Voyages, or Star Trek Continues had been sued instead of Axanar?
Then we shift gears to the Axanar supporter/detractor conflict…
- Why have things escalated so much over the years?
- What role have CARLOS PEDRAZA and his Axamonitor blog site played in exacerbating the tensions? (Carlos tells us himself!)
- Are Carlos’ blogs telling only half the story and thereby reinforcing pre-existing detractor biases?
- Does Carlos rush to publish negative blogs and purposefully avoid reporting positive Axanar news like Axacon (which still hasn’t been covered on Axamonitor after six weeks)?
- And what about Fan Film Factor? Am I telling only half the story, too?
And now the Blogger-Battle of Axanar continues…
And check back Wednesday at 2:00pm Pacific Time for Part 3!